IELTS, the International English Language Testing System, is designed to assess the language ability of people who need to study or work where English is the language of communication.
IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment. IELTS conforms to the highest international standards of language assessment. It covers the four language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking.
IELTS is recognised by universities and employers in over 140 countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA. It is also recognised by professional bodies, immigration authorities and other government agencies.
The test that sets the standard
IELTS is designed by world leaders in language assessment and test delivery to provide a reliable and consistent measure of English language proficiency.
Accepted for study, professional registration and migration
IELTS is accepted for study and employment all over the world. It is also accepted for migration by governments in more countries than any other high-stakes English language test. By preparing for just one language test your clients will gain access to the widest range of opportunities.
IELTS is accepted by over 10,000 organisations in over 140 countries worldwide, including universities, employers, professional bodies and immigration authorities.
Organisations that request IELTS results include:
- all universities and the vast majority of training colleges and tertiary institutions in Australia, New Zealand and the UK
- more than 3000 higher educational institutions and programmes in the US
- over 350 universities and colleges in Canada
- immigration authorities in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK
- professional registration bodies covering areas such as accounting, engineering, teaching, law, medicine and nursing
- a wide range of employers from sectors such as banking and finance, government, construction, energy and natural resources, aviation, health and tourism
- universities in non-English speaking countries where English is a language of instruction
Each IELTS question can take up to two years to develop to ensure it is accessible and fair for test takers of all backgrounds. Every question is trialled extensively to ensure it does not assume prior knowledge about a specific country, culture or academic subject. IELTS accepts American, British and Australian English and uses a variety of accents in the Listening component for a more comprehensive test approach.
IELTS uses highly trained examiners to assess performance in the Speaking test. Research shows that this approach to speaking assessment is more authentic than other methods and also gives test takers the best opportunity to fully demonstrate their English language skills.
Frequent test dates
IELTS is available at ETC up to 48 times per year, on Saturdays and Thursdays.
Results are ready in 13 calendar days
IELTS takes a multi-layered approach to security which is trusted by organisations and protects the integrity of your clients’ results. Measures include secure biometric systems and high resolution photography of each test taker on registration. A comprehensive test centre audit scheme is also in place.
IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP IELTS: Australia and Cambridge Language Assessment